Travel Information

Traveling With Family & Pets

Traveling With Pets

We'll take good care of your best friend. Read on.

Pets in the Cabin

Your small pet is welcome to be carried onboard the aircraft. If you would like to take your pet on your next trip, there are few things you need to know.

  • A one-way, directional fee will be assessed and may be paid in advance by calling Frontier Reservations at 800-432-1FLY (1359). If you do not pay in advance, the fee will be collected when you check-in your pet.

    For all tickets issued on or after April 28, 2014, the fee is $75 each way.

    The fee varies each way based on the Fare Option for any tickets you purchased through April 27, 2014:

    Classic Plus & Economy
  • When traveling with a pet in the cabin, we recommend that you make advance reservations on the phone with Frontier Reservations by calling 800-432-1FLY (1359). Pets cannot be booked online. By calling, we can ensure availability and reserve space for your pet as no more than ten pet containers will be accepted per flight and no more than one pet container may be carried per person. For travel with pets, we offer the same low fares with no ticketing fee through Frontier Reservations that we have on
  • Pets are accepted in cabin on all domestic Frontier flights and on international flights to and from Costa Rica, the Dominican Republic, and Mexico. Pets are not accepted on flights to and from Jamaica.
  • Only certain animals are allowed in the cabin:
    • Domesticated dogs, cats, rabbits, guinea pigs, hamsters, or small household birds may be carried on flights within the United States.
    • Domesticated dogs and cats only may be carried to or from international destinations.
  • There are some things you need to do before arriving at the airport:
    • Make arrangements for complying with applicable laws, customs and other governmental regulations, requirements or restrictions of the country, state or territory to which the animal is being transported. This is your responsibility.
    • Obtain required health documents as described below under health and wellness.
  • Due to limited space in the cabin, if you are bringing on a pet container, it will count as either your carry-on bag or personal item. If the pet is taken in place of your personal item, a carry-on bag fee may apply if you also take a carry-on bag. Since the pet container is always placed underneath the seat in front of you, overhead bin space may be used for your personal item or carry-on bag.
  • The travel container must be large enough for the pet to stand, turn around, and lie down in a natural position.  The carrier must also fit underneath the seat in front of you. There may be certain seats which cannot accommodate your pet container, but we'll work with you to get a seat assignment that works. Please note that you may not sit in an exit row when traveling with a pet. Maximum dimensions for a pet container are 24" length x 16" width x 10" height.
  • Up to two (2) small animals may be transported in one travel container as follows: puppies or kittens (8-10 weeks old), hamsters, guinea pigs, rabbits, and small household birds.
  • For safety reasons, your pet must remain in the travel container at all times. If your pet is disruptive, you must soothe him/her without taking him/her from the pet container.
  • We recommend that pets have food or water within four hours of departure. We ask that you do not provide food or water to your pet while traveling on the aircraft. The stress of traveling, the motion of the aircraft, and other factors could make your pet uncomfortable.
  • No oxygen will be administered to a pet in the event of an emergency.

Pets Checked as Baggage

Frontier does not accept pets as checked baggage.

Health and Wellness

The United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) regulates the transport of pets within the U.S. While Frontier does not require a health certificate for pets carried in the cabin traveling within the U.S., upon arrival, the certificate may be required by the state. For clarification, please call your veterinarian or see the U.S. Department of Agriculture's Veterinary Services.

For international travel, a health certificate is required. Each country may have vaccination requirements beyond the requirements listed here. Consulates can provide more information regarding other diseases for which your pet must be vaccinated. The heath certificate must:

  • Be dated based on entry into the country:
    • Within 10 days of entry into the U.S.
    • Within 15 days for entry in the Dominican Republic.
    • Within 14 days of entry into Costa Rica.
    • Within 5 days of entry into Mexico.
  • Include:
    • Name and address of the owner.
    • Animal species.
    • Country of origin/destination.
    • Immunization against rabies within 12 months for.
      • Adult pets 3 months of age or older for all destinations except Costa Rica. Costa Rica defines adult pets as 4 months of age and older.
      • The immunization must be administered no more than one year and no less than 30 days prior to international travel. If a pet received a rabies booster less than thirty days before an international flight, proof of the prior rabies shot is required.
  • The following are additional requirements by country:
    • Mexico and the Dominican Republic require a statement on the health certificate that the pet is free from parasites and has been treated for parasite prevention.
    • The following vaccinations are recommended: hepatitis, PIP and leptospirosis.

Use of Tranquilizers

Most veterinarians advise against sedating pets for travel since the effects of tranquilizers on animals at higher altitudes are unpredictable. The decision to administer a tranquilizer to your pet is between you and your veterinarian.